5 Tips to Support Your Body This Spring
Spring is the season for planting seeds, growth and cleansing. In Chinese Medicine, it is the season associated with the Wood Element which corresponds to the liver and gallbladder.
In restful winter, we tend to eat a more heavily for warmth and comfort. The liver and gallbladder have done some work digesting these heavier foods and now it's time to help them rest and rejuvenate.
This is the perfect time of year to cleanse your body because the liver and gallbladder are at their strongest right now. This will ensure your efforts to cleanse your body will yield the best results possible.
Here are 5 tips to support your wood element this spring.
1. Lower fat intake allows for detoxification. One of the best things we can do for our wood organs is to cut back on some fat come spring time. This usually happens naturally. Instead of a bowl of chili with either meat or beans, we're having lots of freshly steamed or roasted vegetables. Opt for more fruit, greens, salads, and fresh juices. Fruit is actually extremely detoxifying. Enjoy fruit without fats (such as nuts/seeds) for cleansing benefits.
2. Greens! Speaking of greens, nothing supports the liver and gallbladder quite like leafy greens. The dark ones like kale, collards, chard, spinach; and the light greens such as romaine and butter lettuce. Dandelion greens are especially cleansing as they initiate a gentle purging of the liver.
Raw greens are even better. So instead of cooking the kale or collards, try a kale salad or collard wrap.
I also love arugula, apples, asparagus, brussels sprouts, and dragon fruit for the liver (for more info on cleansing the liver, I reccommend Liver Rescue by Anthony William).
3. Drink lemon water upon waking. One of the most helpful foods for the wood organs is lemon water. Not just a slice, but half of a lemon in 16 oz of water. Drink first thing in the morning on an empty stomach. This helps flush the liver from the cleansing it did overnight and get rid of "ick" in your first bowel movement of the day.
Continue adding a little lemon or lime during the day to make the water "living" so that it's more hydrating as Anthony William author of Medical Medium: Secrets Behind Chronic and Mystery Illness and How to Finally Heal shares with us.
4. Move the lymph! When we move the lymph, we support the liver. Rebounding is one of the best ways to accomplish this. Also sweating in an infared sauna, dry skin brushing, and epsom salt baths will do the trick.
Exercise, especially, of the cardio variety, will help flush the body and support the wood organs. The more this is done outdoors around trees and nature and in the sunshine, the better. This can be ANY activity you ENJOY that gets your heart rate up and a sweat to break.
5. Plant Seeds of Change! Because spring is about new beginnings and growth, now is the time to start new projects and plant "seeds" that will flourish for the summer and harvest in the autumn. Whether it be for personal growth, professional growth, or skill development, now is a great time to get to it.
To your health and healing,
Mandi Palmer, Food & Lifestyle Success Coach, is a Holistic Certified Health Coach who has been inspiring and leading others in their pursuit of wellness since 2008. Her well-rounded approach to helping others achieve wellness includes nutrition, healthy-never-over-doing-it movement, building purpose and reslience to stress, the ancient art of qigong, comfortably cleansing, and using the published works of Anthony William, The Medical Medium.
<Disclaimer> This information is to be used for educational purposes only and is not to be used to diagnose, treat, or cure disease. The author of this article is not a doctor, licensed dietitian, or licensed nutritionist. By reading this article, you are agreeing to take responsibility for your own health and decisions regarding food and you waive the right to hold Mandi Palmer responsible for any negative instance or result that may occur after engaging with this information.